Craving a sweet fix fast but don’t want all the hassle and cleanup? Mug cake recipes are your answer!
So, what is a mug cake anyway? Well, it’s exactly as it sounds—a cake that is both cooked and served in a mug. And the best part? It’s made in the microwave and can be whipped up in less than 5 minutes!
Here’s my list of the best mug cake recipes, from a super chocolatey brownie to classic vanilla and fluffy carrot cake. Whatever you are craving, you can have it in a jiff!
Green Tip: Did you know that of the billions of pounds of food wasted annually, it is estimated that 50% of it happens in our homes? It’s always best to avoid food waste as much as you can!
As an environmental scientist, I’m always looking for ways to reduce my contribution to food waste, and single-serving desserts are a great place to start!
1. Five-Minute Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
2. Five-Minute Carrot Mug Cake
3. Ninety-Second Chocolate Oreo Mug Cake
4. Five-Minute Vegan Vanilla Mug Cake
5. Five-Minute Fudgy Vegan Mug Brownie
6. Five-Minute Banana Bread in a Mug
I hope this list of Mug Cake Recipes helps you curb your dessert craving! If you’re still not sure where to start, I included this Vegan Vanilla Mug Cake, which is super moist, delicious, easy to make and requires minimal cleanup.
6+ Easy Mug Cake Recipes, including Vanilla Mug CakePRINT PIN RATE
- 8 or 10 ounce Mug
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablepsoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons oil (coconut in liquid form, vegetable or canola)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To a standard 8- or 10- ounce mug, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Use a fork to combine, ensuring there are no lumps.
- Next, add the oil, milk, and vanilla extract. Use the fork again to mix, ensuring you scrape off any dry ingredients that may have gotten stuck to the sides. You should have a thin, smooth batter, almost like pancake batter!
- Microwave on high for 90-seconds, then allow the vegan vanilla mug cake to sit in the microwave for an additional 1 minute. If the center still seems too undercooked, you can microwave it for an additional 10-15 seconds. Enjoy!
- If you wish to make this mug cake in the oven rather than the microwave, make sure to use a microwave-safe mug. Place it on a baking sheet and bake it at 350°F on the top rack for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.