Looking for a lower-sugar snack to munch on or add to your yogurt? This Simple Crunchy Coconut Granola is the perfect healthy snack.
So, here’s the thing about Simple Crunchy Coconut Granola. Or really any granola for that matter. I am IN LOVE with it.
When I was slimming down a little for my wedding, I ate yogurt and granola EVERY. SINGLE. DAY for lunch. For literally months.
I know—it sounds a little depressing. But there are SO MANY different flavors and variations. I would buy 3 or 4 different kinds and keep them at work.
I would actually get excited to pick my granola-of-choice each day (see, not so depressing now, amirite?…). And just as I always did as a kid with my cereal box, I would sit there, munching on my granola, reading the back of the bag.
Even though there were fewer crossword puzzles and mazes on the granola bag than on a box of Frooty Loops, there was still enough to pique my interest.
I noticed that there were always extra ingredients and TOO MUCH SUGAR. No matter which granola I chose that day! That’s when I decided homemade granola was the way forward. It was an absolute game-changer, too.
Green tip: Food preservatives, like pesticides, are harmful to the environment. They contain toxins that are harmful to plants, animals, and soil. Homemade food with all-natural ingredients that allows you to avoid preservatives lowers your ecological footprint.
I started with Organic Rolled Oats from Trader Joe’s, and just went for it, trying different combinations. This simple crunchy coconut granola was my first success and remains one of my favorite go-to’s. It compliments any yogurt deliciously and is just as yummy on its own.
It’s sometimes (okay, every time) hard for me to not eat it all up when it comes out of the oven all warm and crunchy. It fills the whole kitchen with the irresistible smell of toasted coconut.
But arguably the best part about this recipe is that it is SO easily customized.
Throw some extra raisins or nuts or dried fruit in there! Make it your own! And crunch away, all the while knowing there are no extra preservatives, processed sugar, or unnecessary add-ins.
Simple Crunchy Coconut Granola Tips and Tricks
Make It Your Own
This granola is a great base for all kinds of flavors. Throw in your other favorite ingredients after baking. Raisins, nuts, dried fruit, chocolate chips—you can customize this recipe in so many ways!
Check On Her Every So Often
Check your granola at 18 minutes—you don’t want it to burn! 20 minutes is perfect in my oven, but a minute over it gets a little charred. Everyone’s ovens are slightly different. That also means you may need to bake it for a couple more minutes if it’s not the right color after 20 minutes.
It doesn’t actually get crunchy until after it cools, but you’ll know it’s ready when your oats go from beige to a darker brown.
Hold The Coconut
Toasted coconut is delicious! But burnt coconut, not so much. For the time the oats need to get crunchy, the coconut flakes will certainly char. I love fresh shredded coconut, so I add it to my granola once my dressed oats are out of the oven.
If you want your coconut toasted, add it to your baking sheet 5 minutes before removing it from the oven.
Why You Should Make This Simple Crunchy Coconut Granola
- It’s healthy. Free of refined sugar and preservatives, homemade granola is definitely a healthier alternative to storebought.
- It provides the perfect crunch! Those crispy oats are a beautiful texture.
- It’s a great snack! Curb your sweet cravings and munch on this healthy granola.
- It’s easy. All you need is a mixing bowl, a baking sheet, and an oven. No fancy gadgets, and quick clean up!
- It’s versatile. Use this recipe as a base for any granola flavor you want!
Simple Crunchy Coconut GranolaPRINT PIN RATE
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons honey (or agave nectar for vegan)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds, hemp seeds, flax seeds, or a combination
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- Preheat your oven to 325°F.
- Whisk together honey, coconut oil, and seeds of choice in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add oats and stir until coated in honey, oil, and seeds.
- Spread your mixture evenly onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and sprinkle cinnamon on top. Bake for about 20 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Add the coconut and stir.
- Serve with yogurt, make a parfait, or munch on its own!
- Check your granola at 18 minutes—you don’t want it to burn! 20 minutes is perfect in my oven, but a minute over it gets a little charred. Everyone’s ovens are slightly different. That also means you may need to bake it for a couple more minutes if it’s not crispy after 20.
- This granola recipe is a perfect base to really any granola. Throw in your other favorite ingredients in step 5. Raisins, nuts, dried fruit- you can customize this recipe so many ways!
- If you want your coconut toasted, add it to your baking sheet 5 minutes before removing it from the oven.