Looking for a new inventive way to drink your whiskey? This Whiskey Blues Cocktail highlights your favorite whiskey with complimentary blueberry and bitters. A match made in heaven!
With a special touch of homemade blueberry-infused simple syrup, this will be your new favorite special cocktail.
Whiskey Blues Cocktail Tips and Tricks
It’s All About that Simple Syrup
The “blues” in this Whiskey Blues cocktail comes from an easy, homemade Blueberry Simple Syrup that you’ll whip up first.
Simple syrup is used in cocktails so that your sugar can distribute easily and evenly into your drink. Heating the sugar with water dissolves it, essentially transforming it into liquid.
I typically use a 1 : 1 ratio of water to sugar for simple syrups, but because we are infusing some sweet blueberries into this, we can cut the amount of sugar in half. I also use coconut sugar in this recipe to keep it clean.
To get a perfect Blueberry Simple Syrup, bring the ingredients to a rolling boil, stir it a couple of times, and then bring it back down to a simmer.
Most simple syrups are ready in minutes, as soon as the sugar is dissolved, but we want to make sure we are getting the most out of the berries here. Let it simmer for ten minutes before removing from heat to cool completely.
This recipe makes enough simple syrup for four cocktails. Make it ahead of time to save time when you’re ready for Happy Hour!
Consider a Sugar Rim
This is definitely my husbands favorite part of any cocktail. I mean, who doesn’t love an excuse to sip whiskey with a mouth full of sugar?
Aside from it’s obvious deliciousness—it’s pretty too! AND super easy to achieve. Simply fill a shallow bowl or plate with sugar—granulated, brown, or coconut all work—wet the rim of your glass, and dip it in!
Don’t Forget Your Garnish
I say it every time! The fragrance and aroma from garnish can absolutely elevate your cocktail, and this Whiskey Blues Cocktail is ALL about those blueberries!
Plus, you get to eat them once you finish your drink like a little cocktail dessert! I put mine on wooden skewers, but you can also just drop them straight into your drink. Or you could even freeze them and use them to keep your drink cool instead of ice!
Consider Whiskey Rocks or Ice
If you’re not using frozen blueberries in lieu of ice, I highly recommend whiskey rocks or cocktail ice molds.
This is more of a sipping drink as it’s very whiskey-forward, so it’s best if the ice melts slowly. The bigger the ice, the slower it will melt, and the less watered down your drink will get.
Green tip: Consider buying your alcohol in glass bottles to avoid extra plastic packaging, and always recycle your whiskey bottles!
Use Your Favorite Whiskey and Bitters
If you’re anything like me, you have sipping whiskeys and mixing whiskeys. There are only a few that I will gladly enjoy over ice. Since this cocktail has equal parts whiskey and mixer, you’ll want to use one you thoroughly enjoy on it’s own.
Some of my go-to’s include Maker’s Mark, Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, and Four Roses. But make this your own!
Same goes for the bitters. Different bitters can be more spicy, while some rely heavily on fruity and sweet notes. I tend to lean toward bitters with cloves and allspice. I love the complex flavor it provides!
Why You Should Make This Whiskey Blues Cocktail
- It’s whiskey-forward. No hiding your favorite spirit here! This cocktail is meant to allow your favorite whiskey to shine!
- It’s scratch-made. Down to the blueberry-infused simple syrup.
- It’s unique. Reminiscent of an old fashioned, but with bold new flavors.
- The color! She’s a beauty!
- It’s on the healthier side. I don’t think I can ever claim a cocktail to be healthy, but as far as cocktails go, this one’s packed with antioxidants and is easily made refined-sugar free with coconut sugar.
Enjoyed this Whiskey Blues Cocktail and want other ideas for concoctions to sip on? Check out this list of 10+ Mixology Cocktails To Try At Home.
Special Whiskey Blues CocktailPRINT PIN RATE
Blueberry Simple Syrup
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup coconut sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
Whiskey Blues Cocktail
- 4 ounces whiskey or bourbon
- 4 ounces blueberry simple syrup (4 oz = ½ cup)
- 10 drops bitters
- Add blueberries, water, and sugar to a small pot and bring it to a rolling boil. Stir a couple of times and bring the heat down to a simmer. Simmer for ten minutes until all of the sugar is dissolved and the blueberries turn the mixture deep blue.
- Remove from heat and allow the simple syrup to cool completely, about ten minutes.
- Pour your simple syrup through a sieve. Discard the blueberries.
- Fill two glasses (see above for step-by-step for optional sugar rim) with ice or whiskey rocks, and pour 2 ounces of whiskey in each glass.
- Add 2 ounces of Blueberry Simple Syrup and 5 drops of bitters to each glass. Swirl your glasses to mix and garnish with blueberries.
- Use coconut sugar for a refined-sugar-free cocktail!
- This Blueberry Simple Syrup recipe yields enough to make about 4 cocktails.
- Make the simple syrup ahead of time to save some cooking and cooling time.
- Still thirsty? Check out this awesome collection of my best cocktail recipes!