Found yourself with some bread that’s gone stale? Have no fear! I have stale bread recipes for you that will make you glad you let your bread hang out too long.
From savory to sweet, these stale bread recipes give you endless options to turn that hardened bread into a delicacy, with simple ingredients and easy methods that won’t intimidate you in the least!
Green tip: Bread is one of the most wasted food products in the U.S. because of our tendency to throw it out as soon as it’s stale. Reduce your contribution to food waste by re-vamping your dry bread with some of these stale bread recipes!
As an environmental scientist, I’m always trying to keep the issue of food waste front of mind. These recipes are designed to bring new life into your stale bread. Not only do these recipes not require your bread to be fresh, they actually encourage you to use day-old!
Stale Bread Recipes
- Easy Egg White French Toast
- Baileys French Toast with Baileys Chocolate Drizzle
- Savory French Toast Casserole with Chives
- Crispy Captain Crunch French Toast
- Easy Sourdough French Toast
- Epic Oreo French Toast
- Honey Matcha French Toast
- Melt-In-Your-Mouth Vegan Bread Pudding
- Bread Pudding with Bourbon Sauce
- Moist Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding
Appetizers & Sides
1. Easy Egg White French Toast
Easy Egg White French Toast
2. Baileys French Toast with Baileys Chocolate Drizzle
Baileys French Toast with Baileys Chocolate Drizzle
3. Savory French Toast Casserole with Chives
Savory French Toast Casserole with Chives
4. Crispy Captain Crunch French Toast
Crispy Captain Crunch French Toast
5. Easy Sourdough French Toast
Easy Sourdough French Toast
6. Epic Oreo French Toast
Epic Oreo French Toast
7. Honey Matcha French Toast
Honey Matcha French Toast
8. Melt-In-Your-Mouth Vegan Bread Pudding
Melt-In-Your-Mouth Vegan Bread Pudding
9. Bread Pudding with Bourbon Sauce
Bread Pudding with Bourbon Sauce
10. Moist Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding
Moist Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding
11. Everything Bagel Stuffing
Baked Everything Bagel Stuffing
12. Easy Vegan Sheet Pan Panzanella
Easy Vegan Sheet Pan Panzanella
13. Caprese Bruschetta with Balsamic Glaze
Caprese Bruschetta with Balsamic Glaze
I hope this list of Stale Bread Recipes encourages you to use up that stale bread rather than toss it! If you’re still not sure where to start, here is one of my most decadent recipes using day-old bread: Bailey’s French Toast.
12+ Stale Bread Recipes, Including Baileys French ToastPRINT PIN RATE
Baileys French Toast
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup Baileys Irish Cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter for frying
- 4 slices of stale bread, brioche or challah
Baileys Chocolate Drizzle (optional)
- 1 tablespoon dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons Baileys Irish Cream
- ¼ cup fresh berries
- 2 tablespoons whipped cream
Baileys French Toast
- Whisk together egg and Baileys in a shallow bowl until well combined.
- Over medium heat, get a large frying pan hot. Add about 2 tablespoons of butter and allow it to melt, tilting the pan to coat it with melted butter.
- One slice at a time, dip your bread into the egg and Baileys mixture, coating both sides fully.
- Carefully lower your coated bread into the hot butter, allowing it to fry for about 2 minutes before flipping. Your french toast should be golden brown on both sides.
- Repeat for all four slices of bread. Add more butter as needed—the pan should always be buttery to get your outer layer crispy.
- Keep warm in the oven at 200°F until ready to serve.
Baileys Chocolate Drizzle (Optional)
- Melt dark chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave on high in 30-second intervals, stirring in between until fully melted.
- Allow the melted chocolate to cool for 1-2 minutes before adding Baileys and whisking until combined.
- Pour over warm Baileys French Toast and add whipped cream and fresh berries. Enjoy hot.
- Baileys Almande works great in this recipe as well!