Looking for a protein-filled, hearty, meat-free breakfast? This Vegetarian Breakfast Burrito with Salsa is the best way to start the day, and has an on-the-go option that makes nourishing breakfast easy!
With tasty mushrooms and onions cooked in the salsa, fluffy scrambled eggs, cheese, and creamy avocado, this vegetarian breakfast recipe with eggs hits all the right flavor and texture notes.
As an environmental scientist, I’m always looking for delicious meals without meat! This vegetarian breakfast burrito is so hearty and filling with extra protein from the eggs that you won’t even miss the meat!
Green tip: Industrial meat production has a huge impact on the environment, especially because of the amount of land it takes to sustain and its high amount of greenhouse gas emissions. Reducing your meat consumption is one great way to reduce your ecological footprint.
Vegetarian Breakfast Burrito Ingredients
Here’s everything you need:
- Mushrooms. For heartiness, and umami.
- Onion. For a flavor boost.
- Olive oil. To cook your mushrooms and onions.
- Salsa. To add depth of flavor and Tex-Mex notes to your burrito.
- Tortilla. To wrap it all up!
- Cheese. The melty cheese totally takes this savory breakfast up a notch.
- Avocado. For creaminess and freshness.
- Eggs. I use large brown pasture-raised eggs.
- Salt & pepper. To season your avocado and eggs.
Vegetarian Breakfast Burrito Tips and Tricks
Prep Your Veggies
Slice your mushrooms and onions into thinner pieces. This will help them cook faster and more evenly, and ensure you get veggies in every bite of your burrito!
Add the sliced mushrooms and onions to a hot pan with the olive oil, and allow them to cook down for a couple of minutes before adding the salsa.
Cook the Veg in the Salsa
Once your mushrooms and onions have had a chance to cook down a bit, add the salsa to the pan with them. Toss to coat and continue to cook until the liquid has absorbed.
Adding salsa to your veg is a quick, easy, and healthy way to add tons of flavor to your meatless breakfast burrito.
Scramble the Eggs
Crack your eggs in a small bowl and use a fork to whisk them until smooth. Your egg yolks and whites should be seamlessly integrated and the whisking will aerate your eggs, making them nice and fluffy.
Remove the salsa-seasoned mushrooms and onions from your pan and just add the egg. This will allow all the flavor from the salsa, mushrooms, and onions to infuse into your eggs.
Cook the eggs over low heat, moving them around occasionally with a spatula.
Add the Cheese to the Tortilla First
Adding the cheese to your tortilla first will keep the cheese closest to the surface of the burrito, allowing it to melt more easily when we cook it.
Spread the cheese over the tortilla, leaving space around the edges.
Assemble, Roll, and Heat
After the cheese, add your salsa mushrooms and onions. Then add your eggs, sliced avocado, and a crack of salt and pepper on top.
Keep the majority of the fillings towards the center of your wrap. To roll your burrito, first, fold the sides in over the filling. Then, take the side closest to you, fold it over the filling, and tuck it underneath. Continue to roll away from you until you have your hefty breakfast burrito!
Then, heat again to melt the cheese. You can either heat it in the pan you used for the veg and eggs until it turns golden brown, flipping to heat both sides.
Or, you can stick the burrito in a panini press or in the oven at 425°F for about 5 minutes.
How To Reheat a Breakfast Burrito
The best way to reheat this vegetarian breakfast burrito is to place it in the center of a large nonstick saucepan over high heat. Add about a tablespoon of water to the pan next to the burrito (this will produce steam) and cover.
After about 5 minutes, flip and repeat until heated thoroughly.
Green tip: Did you know that of the billions of pounds of food wasted annually, it is estimated that 50% of it happens in our homes? It’s always best to avoid food waste as much as you can!
Vegetarian Breakfast Burrito Frequently Asked Questions
What veggies go in burritos?
Typically, burritos can contain onions, mushrooms, peppers, and zucchini. This simple vegetarian breakfast burrito focuses on just mushrooms and onions to pack tons of flavor and meaty texture into your burrito.
Are breakfast burritos healthy for you?
This depends on your health goals. While breakfast burritos may be high in calories, they do contain tons of nutrients, fiber, and protein.
How do you make breakfast burritos without bacon?
If you’re leaving out bacon and sausage, you may want to enhance the texture and flavor of your burrito with the addition of mushrooms. It’s meaty texture and earthy taste lens itself perfectly to a meatless breakfast burrito.
Want to sharpen your kitchen skills?
Why You Should Make this Vegetarian Breakfast Burrito
- It’s hearty. Totally filling and energy-producing.
- It’s tasty. The veggies, salsa, and cheese add so much flavor!
- The textures! Creamy avocado, soft scrambled eggs, and veg inside a toasty tortilla give you all the right textures.
Vegetarian Breakfast Burrito with SalsaPRINT PIN RATE
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- ¼ large yellow or white onion
- 4 large white button or baby bella mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons salsa of choice
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large flour tortilla
- 2 large eggs
- ½ large hass avocado
- salt and pepper to taste
- Slice your onions and mushrooms and add them to a large nonstick saucepan over high heat with olive oil or butter. Cook on high until the juices from the mushrooms start to release and the onions become translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add the salsa to the pan and stir to coat. Cook for another 5 minutes or so until there is no more liquid left in the pan.
- Meanwhile, add cheese to your tortilla, leaving space around the edges so the cheese is mostly in the center of your tortilla.
- When the mushrooms and onions are ready, remove them from the pan and spread them horizontally in the center of your wrap reaching from one side of the tortilla to the other in a roughly straight line.
- Crack your eggs in a bowl and use a fork to whisk until the egg yolks and egg white are integrated and smooth. Pour the eggs into the already-hot pan and turn your heat source down to low. Push the eggs around in the pan with a spatula and cook until solid, but still fluffy.
- Place the eggs over top of the mushrooms and onions. Then slice your avocado and place the pieces on top of the egg. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To roll your burrito, first, fold the sides in over the filling. Then, take the side closest to you, fold it over the filling, and tuck it underneath. Continue to roll away from you until you have your hefty breakfast burrito!
- Heat the burrito in the (ungreased) pan over high heat, flipping halfway between, until the tortilla is golden brown on both sides and the cheese inside is melted.
- You can add any veggies you like in step 1! Think of this as a great “clean out the fridge” meal.