Looking for the best spiked hot chocolate to warm your soul? This Baileys Hot Chocolate is perfectly velvety smooth and chocolatey sweet, with just the right amount of Baileys Irish Cream.
This Baileys Hot Chocolate recipe makes the perfect amount for two servings (or one giant mug!) in just under 10 minutes. Only 5 ingredients are required to bring bold flavor to each warming sip!
This recipe for Hot Cocoa spiked with Baileys will outline two easy ways to make it (stovetop or microwave) for your convenience. It also provides an option to make Baileys Hot Chocolate from hot cocoa mix.
It’s rich and creamy, but not overly sweet or decadent, and tows the line of spiked hot beverage and chocolaty cocktail, making for the BEST cozy night in.
Baileys Spiked Hot Chocolate Ingredients
Here’s everything you need:
- Milk. You can use skim, reduced fat, or whole dairy milk or any unsweetened non-dairy milk of your choice.
- Chocolate chips. Dark chocolate or semi-sweet. They both work well here.
- Granulated sugar. Just a little for sweetness.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder. For extra chocolaty flavor and a thicker texture.
- Baileys Irish Cream. For the most classic Baileys Hot Chocolate, use the Original flavor, or Almade to make this vegan and dairy-free.
Baileys Hot Chocolate Tips and Tricks
Start with the Milk and Chocolate Chips
Add the milk and chocolate chips to a pot or large saucepan over medium heat. Heat and stir continuously until the chocolate chips are melted (about 3 minutes).
Make sure to continue to stir as you heat to avoid the milk curdling. The goal here is to both safely heat the milk and melt the chocolate chips.
Stir in the Sugar and Cocoa Powder
Once your chocolate chips are melted, add the granulated sugar and the cocoa powder and continue to heat and stir to dissolve.
I highly recommend using a whisk to ensure there are no lumps.
Continue to heat and stir until the hot cocoa is nice and smooth.
Add the Baileys Last
Once the chocolate chips, sugar, and cocoa powder are dissolved into your milk and your mixture is smooth, remove it from the heat.
Then, stir in your Baileys Irish Cream.
If you want a thicker, frothier hot cocoa, you can use a milk frother to combine the Baileys and Hot Chocolate.
Adding the Baileys after you remove it from heat will make for a more prevalent Baileys flavor.
Best Baileys for Hot Chocolate
I love using Baileys Original Irish Cream in my homemade hot chocolate for the classic flavor but changing up the Baileys you use in this recipe is an easy way to add your own twist on the flavor.
Here are some of my favorite Baileys Hot Chocolate combinations:
- Make this Baileys Hot Cocoa vegan by using Baileys Almande, a dairy-free version of the original.
- Make Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate by using Baileys Salted Caramel.
- Add a little coffee flavor and put a little pep in your step by adding Baileys Espresso Creme.
- Add warming Fall flavors by using Baileys Pumpkin Spice.
- Use Baileys Chocolate Cherry for a Black Forest flavor combination.
It’s also important to note that Baileys is just a brand name. I love supporting Baileys because of their sustainability efforts in using 100% renewable energy and running a zero waste-to-landfill operation.
Still, you can easily use any Irish Cream in its place for this recipe.
Green tip: Consider buying your Baileys in glass bottles to avoid extra plastic packaging, and always recycle your glass bottles!
Using Hot Cocoa Mix instead
If you have hot chocolate mix on hand and want to make Baileys Spiked Hot Chocolate from a mix, you absolutely can!
Just make two servings of hot cocoa according to the directions on the packets or container and add 1/3 cup of Baileys.
If you’re making two individual mugs of hot chocolate with one-serving packets, make the hot chocolate first and stir in about 3 tablespoons of Baileys to each mug.
Oftentimes, hot cocoa mixes will offer options to use either water or milk. Make sure to use milk for a richer hot chocolate, and to ensure you will easily be able to seamlessly add your Baileys into the spiked hot chocolate.
Green tip: Making your own sauces, spice blends, and mixes is a great way to avoid extra plastic packaging, or mixed material canisters and packets that often cannot be recycled. It also allows you to avoid unnecessary food preservatives that are harmful pollutants.
Making Baileys Hot Chocolate in the Microwave
If you don’t want to dirty up a pot or saucepan, you can also opt to make this Spiked Baileys Hot Chocolate in the microwave!
Add the milk, chocolate chips, sugar, and cocoa powder to an extra-large mug or microwave-safe cup or dish (a Pyrex measuring cup works great here!).
Microwave on high for 90 seconds. Use a fork, whisk, or frother to mix until smooth.
If the chocolate chips are still not completely melted and integrated after 90 seconds, continue to microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until your chocolate easily integrates.
Then, add the Baileys and stir to combine while it’s still hot.
Making this Recipe for One
This recipe makes enough hot cocoa for two standard mugs or one extra-large mug.
So, if you just want one single serving, it can easily be halved. You’ll need 3/4 cup milk, 2 tablespoons chocolate chips, 1/2 tablespoon each of sugar and cocoa powder, and about 3 tablespoons of Baileys.
Follow the same stovetop or microwave instructions outlined above.
Should You Have Leftovers
This Baileys Hot Chocolate will last in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
To reheat, add to a pot over medium heat and continue to heat, stirring frequently until it just starts to simmer. You can also reheat in the microwave on high for 60-90 seconds until thoroughly heated.
Green tip: Did you know that of the billions of pounds of food wasted annually, it is estimated that 50% of it happens in our homes? It’s always best to avoid food waste by properly storing, reheating, and then consuming your leftovers.
Serving Your Baileys Hot Chocolate
This Baileys Spiked Hot Cocoa is outrageously delicious on its own, but is also so fun to dress up!
Here are some of my favorite topping options to serve it with:
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate shavings or mini chocolate chips
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Mini marshmallows
- A candy cane (this will give it a mellow peppermint flavor) or crushed peppermint
- Dusting of powdered sugar or cocoa powder
- Chocolate syrup
- Toffee bits
- Caramel sauce
- Pirouette cookies
Spiked Hot Chocolate with Baileys Frequently Asked Questions
Does Baileys curdle in hot chocolate?
No, Baileys should not curdle in hot chocolate. It can be heated safely without curdling. Baileys will only curdle if it is mixed with something acidic (like vinegar or lemon).
That being said, I do like to add the Baileys to the hot chocolate after removing it from the heat. This will make for a more Baileys-forward flavor in your hot cocoa.
What are Baileys in hot chocolate?
Baileys and hot chocolate is a classic combination! Baileys Irish Cream is often added to hot cocoa to spike it with alcohol and add a rich, creamy flavor.
Should you refrigerate Baileys?
Baileys is best when stored below 77°F (25°C). So, in the summertime, likely yes, you should refrigerate Baileys.
However, if you keep your house cooler than 77°F, then it is safe to keep your Baileys out on the counter.
Want to sharpen your kitchen skills?
Why You Should Make this Spiked Baileys Hot Chocolate
- It’s chocolaty. Packed with both real melted chocolate and cocoa powder.
- It’s creamy. Between the milk base and the added Baileys, this hot cocoa is rich and velvety smooth.
- It’s boozy.
If you’re loving this Baileys Hot Chocolate and want more creamy, chocolaty drinks, check out this Cheery Peppermint Mocha Martini and White Chocolate Martini.
Spiked Baileys Hot Chocolate for TwoPRINT PIN RATE
Baileys Hot Chocolate from Scratch
- 1 ½ cups milk (dairy or unsweetened nondairy)
- ¼ cup chocolate chips (dark chocolate or semi-sweet)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Dark cocoa powder)
- ⅓ cup Baileys Irish Cream
Baileys Hot Chocolate from Hot Chocolate Mix
- 6 tablespoons hot chocolate mix (1 packet hot chocolate mix usually = approx. 3 tablespoons)
- 1 ½ cups milk or water (dairy or unsweetened nondairy milk preferred)
- ⅓ cup Baileys Irish Cream
From Scratch Stovetop Method
- To a pot or large saucepan, add the milk and chocolate chips over medium heat. Continue to heat, whisking frequently until chocolate chips are melted and integrated into the milk (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add the granulated sugar and cocoa powder and continue to heat and whisk, until your hot chocolate is smooth with no lumps.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Baileys Irish Cream. Serve hot with optional toppings (ideas listed above!).
From Scratch Microwave Method
- Add the milk, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, and sugar to an extra-large mug or heat-safe glass (a Pyrex measuring cup works great!) and stir a couple of times to distribute the ingredients throughout the milk.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Whisk to combine melted chocolate chips, sugar, and cocoa powder into the milk. If the chips aren't completely melted, continue to microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring in between until smooth.
- Add Baileys Irish Cream and serve hot with optional toppings (ideas listed above!
Hot Chocolate Mix Method
- Make two servings of hot chocolate according to the instructions on the packet or cannister. Use milk, even if the instructions offer an option to use water.
- Add the Baileys and serve hot with optional toppings (ideas listed above!
- Adding the Baileys after removing the hot chocolate from heat will give you a more prominent Baileys flavor.
- To half this recipe for a single serving, use 3/4 cup milk, 2 tablespoons chocolate chips, 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar, 1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder, and 3 tablespoons Baileys
- The amount of Baileys in this recipe is a suggestion to get the most balanced Baileys Hot Chocolate flavor, but you can add as much as you like!
- For even more Baileys Hot Chocolate, check out these Baileys Hot Chocolate Bombs and this Baileys Hot Chocolate Tart.
- Chocolate lover? Me too! You’ll love the collection of my best chocolate recipes
12 thoughts on “Spiked Baileys Hot Chocolate for Two”
Bailey’s is my favorite thing in the whole world! And this Cocoa is divine! I just made it to bring upstairs with me while I make jewelry! I love it so much that this is my 5th or 6th time making it since maybe thanksgiving…?? But who’s counting, right? I love it! Thank you!
Aw, thank you for sharing Laura! I am so glad you enjoy it so much. I get all warm and cozy just thinking about drinking them myself!
So good can’t wait to make it for the holidays!
The best festive treat!
Curling up on the couch with this asap!
You will NOT regret it 🙂
Delicious recipe for the holidays!!
Definitely an annual holiday tradition in our house <3
An absolute must-have this holiday season!
You got that right! 😉
The BEST way to warm up after a long day 🙂