Looking for delicious side dishes with tons of flavor but minimal effort? This list contains 24+ of my favorite side dishes with 5 ingredients or less.
If you’ve got a plan for your main, but just want a little something simple and delicious to complete your meal, this list is for you! Plus, less ingredients means less steps and less clean up, so when I say “easy” I mean from start to finish!
Green tip: Speaking of cleanup, if you have a dishwasher-use it! Comparing dishwashing to handwashing, using an efficient dishwasher uses 1/6th the amount of water to get your dishes clean!
As an environmental scientist, I strongly believe that educating ourselves on how to make small changes in the kitchen can make a big impact over time, especially if we spread the word!
Side Dishes with 5 Ingredients or Less
- Roasted Honey Gold Potatoes
- Aromatic Yellow Saffron Rice with Caramelized Onions
- 30 Min Creamy Boursin Mashed Potatoes
- Homemade Parmesan Truffle Fries
- Roasted Potatoes and Asparagus
- Maple Sweet Potato Casserole
- 30-Minute Truffle Mashed Potatoes
- Baked Old Bay Fries
- Pan-fried Potatoes and Onions
- Roasted Garlic and Feta Mashed Potatoes
- 30-Minute Roasted Baby Potatoes and Broccoli
- Roasted Teriyaki Brussels Sprouts
- 10-Minute Cast-Iron Asparagus
- 20-Minute Roasted Broccoli and Carrots
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes
- Grilled Corn on the Cob with Old Bay Seasoning
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Asparagus
- The Best Yellow Carrots (aka White Carrots)
- 30-Minute Roasted Asparagus and Carrots
- Roasted Maple Balsamic Brussels Sprouts
- 25-Minute Roasted Cauliflower and Sweet Potatoes
- The BEST White Asparagus Recipe
- 15-Minute Sautéed Broccolini and Mushrooms
- 20-Minute Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Carrots
- Garlic Lemon Asparagus
Potatoes & Rice
1. Roasted Honey Gold Potatoes
2. Aromatic Yellow Saffron Rice with Caramelized Onions
3. 30 Min Creamy Boursin Mashed Potatoes
4. Homemade Parmesan Truffle Fries
5. Roasted Potatoes and Asparagus
6. Maple Sweet Potato Casserole
7. 30-Minute Truffle Mashed Potatoes
8. Baked Old Bay Fries
9. Pan-fried Potatoes and Onions
10. Roasted Garlic and Feta Mashed Potatoes
11. 30-Minute Roasted Baby Potatoes and Broccoli
12. Roasted Teriyaki Brussels Sprouts
13. 10-Minute Cast-Iron Asparagus
14. 20-Minute Roasted Broccoli and Carrots
15. Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes
16. Grilled Corn on the Cob with Old Bay Seasoning
17. Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Asparagus
18. The Best Yellow Carrots (aka White Carrots)
19. 30-Minute Roasted Asparagus and Carrots
20. Roasted Maple Balsamic Brussels Sprouts
21. 25-Minute Roasted Cauliflower and Sweet Potatoes
22. The BEST White Asparagus Recipe
23. 15-Minute Sautéed Broccolini and Mushrooms
24. 20-Minute Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Carrots
25. Garlic Lemon Asparagus
I hope this list of Side Dishes with 5 Ingredients or Less has inspired you to whip up something easy and delicious to complete your meal! If you’re still not sure where to start, I included this recipe for Yellow Saffron Rice which uses vegetable broth and onions to compliment the floral, aromatic saffron.
24+ Side Dishes with 5 Ingredients or Less. including Saffron RicePIN Print RATE
- ¼ teaspoon saffron (plus an extra pinch for serving)
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large yellow onion (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons water
- Using a mortar and pestle, grind your saffron until it is fine powder.
- Add saffron, rice, vegetable broth, and salt to a medium-sized pot and bring it to a rolling boil. Then reduce it to a low simmer, cover, and cook for 15-20 minutes, until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- In a separate small pan, add 1 tablespoon of butter and sliced onions over medium heat. Once the butter melts, stir to coat the onions, then let them cook for about 10 minutes without stirring. Add the water, stir, then cook until water absorbs, and onions are golden brown on all sides.
- Remove the rice from heat and fluff it with a fork. Transfer to a serving bowl and remaining butter and stir to melt butter.
- Pour the onions on top of the rice and sprinkle with an extra pinch of saffron. Serve hot with your favorite main dish—I love it with this 3-Ingredient Pesto Butter Salmon.
- Saffron is expensive, but luckily a little bit goes a long way. You really only need a pinch of it per 1 cup uncooked rice, especially if you grind it up.
- The consistency of the rice should be light and fluffy. If the liquid is absorbed before 15 minutes, then the stove is too hot. Add a little more veggie broth, and make sure to turn down to a simmer.